Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dog Days in Austin

John and I went for a little joggity jog on the hike and bike trail along Town Lake tonight. I should say for the record that Town Lake is now called Lady Bird Lake, but it's not catching on. I don't think it's one of things like people still calling Reagan Airport National (ahem, Didi and Broc, wink, wink). It's just that Town Lake has a nice ring to it and Lady Bird reminds me of a little ballerina in a music box spinning to a trinkety tune.

Back to the jog though... it was so nice! Although Hurricane Ike ravages Houston and caused windstorms in Ohio and Pennsylvania, Austin reaped the benefits of the weather system and has just had the most beautifully cool, breezy weather we've seen all summer long. The trail itself is about 200 yards from my house and is a bit like the Esplanade in Boston, but gravel/sand not concrete and instead of running nicely by the side of their owner, the dogs own the trail! Seeing how much fun they have is quite a sight. They jump in and out of the water, they play fetch, the run in front of you, the play together. Since Candy didn't like the water or other dogs, I absolutely could not imagine her there, but all the labs and pit bulls and boxers and spaniels that seem so common here in Austin were having a blast. I'm surprised their owners get a jog in at all with all the dog fun to be had.



On a related note, I've become obsessed with looking at adoptable dogs posted on Craigslist. This guy has especially won my consideration, though he already weighs 75 pounds! Isn't he cute? I think so (obviously).













A lot of the dogs that people post about are strays, but even more are family dogs that have been loved and cared for 2-8 years in some cases and then the family decides to give them away. I'm surprised by this! I don't think I've ever known anyone who has actually had a dog for an extended period of time and then given it away. This is why I am not getting a dog (at least, why I'm trying to fight the urge to get a dog). My life may remain somewhat unpredictable for the next few years with my plans to finish my Masters and the fact that I like flying to Pittsburgh for weeks at a time whenever possible.
So for now at least, I will be dogsitting. This weekend is my first official charge: Pickle! The dog of my friends Greg and Amy. I'm starting out small... just 24 hours and just 15 pounds of terrier. He's no hound dog and he's no Candy Girl, but he'll be a nice companion for the weekend and I'll definately be taking him to the dog trail, I mean the hike and bike trail. =)

And one more great thing about Town Lake.... Obama likes it too!

No comments: